Abode {W}

Saturday, April 16, 2011

bread


I have had to start making three loaves of challah bread at a time. The recipe instructs you to wait until the bread is completely cooled before slicing in to it. We prefer it hot out of the oven, slathered with softened butter. Between the eight of us, we can eat all three loaves in one sitting. I have also discovered a recipe for a whole wheat bread with seeds, which I like because it is high in protein. I found the recipe in the "Healthy Artisan Bread in Just Five Minutes a Day" book, and I love this bread! I am not typically a whole wheat bread type of person. Most of the whole wheat bread I have had is dry or sawdusty, and the store boughten whole wheat bread is gummy and nasty. This recipe makes a moist, delicious loaf, which I slather with hazelnut butter. It not only gives me a solid, high protein breakfast, but it goes really well with coffee! I have been making all of our bread for about six months now, and I don't think we will ever go back to buying it at the store!

2 comments:

  1. I too make all our bread, as well as bread for our daughter and son-in-law. It's impossible to go back, isn't it? I looked at the book you mention, but even with 4 of us, we don't eat that much bread over a week, so I haven't tried the recipe. Your challah looks marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the doughs can be kept for a week or longer. The basic white bread is only four ingredients, so I can make a loaf for about 25 cents.With six kids who love bread, this is a good thing! The challah is delicious!

    ReplyDelete